- The structure must be in the redevelopment area.
- The property shall have no existing code violations and the owner shall not be named in any outstanding code enforcement liens.
- Single-family and 2-unit multifamily (duplex) owner- occupied properties are
- Properties listed for sale may not apply.
- Homeowners will be notified by CRA staff if they are approved for the program.
- The CRA will work with designated paint contractors for this program.
- Work must not have started before a property owner is approved for the program.
- The CRA will directly pay the contractor for the project up to $5,000 for exterior paint and pressure washing.
Properties will only be eligible to receive the Residential Paint Improvement Grant once in a
five (5) year period.
- Visual impact
- Impact on property values
- Availability of CRA funds
- Gather necessary material & documentation
- Wait for CRA Approval
- Complete work. Submit supporting documents, e.g., after-photos, proof of expenses: receipts, paid invoices
To be eligible for funding through this the program, a project must meet the following criteria:
Ownership: Applicant must be the homeowner(s). Only owner-occupied homes are eligible for
Location: The project must be located within the redevelopment area. Priority will be given to
buildings or properties which directly front a major thoroughfare.
Type of Residence: Single family and 2-unit multifamily (duplex).
Code Enforcement: Applicants must verify that there are no code enforcement actions
currently active against the Property. The Applicant shall also be subject to all applicable
requirements of the City’s Land Development Regulations for site development in effect at the
time of development.
Property Taxes: Both City and County property taxes must be current.
Incomplete Applications: Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Property: The eligible building must demonstrate a need for paint such as fading, peeling, or
chipped surfaces. The Applicant shall also be subject to all applicable requirements of the City’s
Land Development Regulations for site development in effect at the time of development.
Nondiscrimination Clause: The Residential Paint Program shall be available to anyone meeting
the program qualifications, and no one shall be denied the benefits of the said program
because of race, color, national origin, or sex.
The following documents and items must be submitted and/ or completed before the CRA will
consider this application for consideration for funding:
- Fully executed and notarized copy of the Owners’ Affidavit form, including property
description and property address. If the forms are prepared and signed by a
representative of the Owner, a legal Power-of-Attorney document must be submitted
with the application.
- Application Link: Residential Paint Program Guide & Application [Paper Copies can be picked up from CRA Office by calling and requesting it]
- Photos of the exterior of the structure; including Photographs of the front, rear, and
both sides of the building and Property as they exist today (Photographs must be digital
and print a minimum of 8” x 10” and must be full frame. The entire building must be in
the photo that you submit.)
Additional information may be requested from the Applicant.
- Pressure Washing
- Exterior patching to prepare for painting
- Painting building exterior
- Improvements made before grant approval
- Interior renovations, including fixtures, equipment, or inventory
- Professional design services for interior improvements
- Roof repairs
- Refinancing existing debts
- Removal of curb cuts
- Non-fixed improvements
- Sweat equity payments
- Business Payroll
- General maintenance
- Mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (HVAC, security systems, piping, etc.) Utilities
- Legal fees
- Work performed that is not consistent with the Design Guidelines for the CRA according to the Redevelopment Plan and Fort Myers Land Use and Development Regulations or not consistent with the approved project plan
- Improvements to the following are ineligible for funding: discouraged or prohibited uses, tax-exempt properties, government-owned property, and non-conforming uses
The CRA Board reserves the right to modify or alter the list of eligible and ineligible expenses on
a project-by-project basis.
Get more info
Contact the Fort Myers CRA for more information on the Residential Paint Program.